- This event has passed.
Testing and Linkage to Care (TLC) Webinar Series: December 2021
December 14, 2021 - December 15, 2021
This 4-part webinar series prepares participants to provide testing, results, and linkage to care as part of the Prevention and Health Promotion Administration (PHPA) and Baltimore City Health Department (HD) publicly-supported HIV Testing Programs. The training will cover: cultivating empathy, cultural competency, client-centered disclosure skills and concepts, giving test results, biomedical prevention (including treatment as prevention, PrEP and nPEP), role plays and linkage to care. The series is offered monthly.
TARGET AUDIENCE: This series is specifically designed for counselors, case managers, community health workers, frontline clinicians, planners, and administrators of publicly and privately-funded programs who will report HIV testing activity to PHPA and the Baltimore City Health Department. Priority registration will be given to PHPA or BCHD funded sites.
OVERVIEW OF HIV TESTING TECHNOLOGIES (90 MINS)
- Identify the concepts and relationships of confidentiality and informed consent related to HIV testing
- Protocol for HIV Testing in Maryland
- Perform HIV rapid testing via the OraQuick ADVANCE, INSTI, and Determine rapid testing technologies
- How to Interpret Test Kits and Deliver Results Collect HIV test encounter data accurately
- Learn about Immune system response time (window period) and how it affects 3rd and 4th Generation Rapid Testing How to perform a finger stick
- HIV Testing Documentation and Temperature Requirements
- The Importance of Controls and how do we use them
ACTS STREAMLINED HIV TESTING PROTOCOL (45 MINS)
- Discuss the ACTS HIV Counseling and Testing streamlined System
- Provide and describe a streamlined approach to advising clients of their risks for HIV
- Discuss and demonstrate how consent in HIV testing should be administered
- Discuss and demonstrate providing support when Positive and Negative results are giving
INTERSECTION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND HIV TESTING (45 MINS)
- Define Domestic Violence
- Discuss the intersection of HIV and domestic violence
- Discuss the impact of DV on HIV testing and how to respond to patient’s DV concerns
PARTNER SERVICES (45 MINS)
- Define Partner Services as a Health Department (HD) service
- Discuss who Disease Intervention Specialists (DIS) are
- Discuss lab reporting and the role of DIS
- Detail partner elicitation and the types of partner notification
CULTURAL AWARENESS (45 MINS)
- Define Culture
- Discuss how cultural practices can impact a patient’s HIV access to testing and treatment adherence
- Define and discuss Cultural Humility vs Competence
- Define and discuss the tenets of cultural humility
- Describe how to create a welcoming environment for patients
CULTIVATING EMPATHY (30 MINS)
- Define Empathy
- Discuss listening techniques
MANAGING PATIENT REACTIONS (45 MINS)
- Demonstrate how to appropriately manage patient’s actions while in HIV testing scenarios
- Explain the interrelated dynamics of ambivalence, fear and denial and their impact on behavior change.
LINKAGE TO CARE (45 MINS)
- Learn information & Overview for Linkage to Care and retention in HIV medical care
- Learn Strategies to establish infrastructure that supports linking clients/patients to care & Biomedical Preventions, and reengagement into HIV medical care
Each session will last 2 hours.
Upon completion, participants needing to fulfill the requirements for MDH and Baltimore City funded testing programs will need to participate in an observed testing technology and finger stick competency that should be scheduled within 6 weeks after completing the webinar series. Information about completing this component will be provided during the live webinar series. If you have taken TLC in the past five (5) years, you will NOT have to complete the observational component.