- This event has passed.
Harm Reduction Psychotherapy, Part 1
August 29 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm EDT
This webinar is the first in a three-day Harm Reduction Series consisting of:
- Harm Reduction Psychotherapy, Part 1
- Harm Reduction Psychotherapy, Part 2
- Injection Drug Use: Wound and Skin Changes
Integrative Harm Reduction Psychotherapy (IHRP) is an innovative treatment for people who use substances. Unlike the traditional disease model of addiction, harm reduction psychotherapy uses a biopsychosocial approach to understand the complexities of problematic drug use and addiction.
This 2-part webinar will take place on August 29 at 1:00pm EDT and August 30 at 1:00pm EDT. Topics explored will include:
- Introduction to Harm Reduction Psychotherapy and IHRP
- Overview of 7 therapeutic tasks of IHRP
- Discussion of harm reduction principles and practices
- Clinical challenges in conceptualizing and treating addictive behaviors
- Scientific revolution / paradigm change and compassionate pragmatism
Continuing education credits are available for this webinar, pending accreditation.
Andrew Tatarsky, PhD has worked with people who struggle with drugs for over 40 years. He developed Integrative Harm Reduction Psychotherapy (IHRP) for treating the spectrum of risky and addictive behavior as an alternative to traditional abstinence-only substance use treatment. IHRP brings relational psychoanalysis, CBT, and mindfulness together in a harm reduction frame. Dr. Tatarsky holds a doctorate in clinical psychology from the City University of New York and is a graduate of New York University’s Postdoctoral Program in Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy. He is the Founder and Director of the Center for Optimal Living in NYC, a treatment, education, and professional training center based on IHRP.